I like to keep a casual eye on what’s trending each season, espeically given my new-ish quest to dress this mombod and try new things. It all started by trying style challenges on Instagram and getting new ideas to wear the items I already had in my closet.
Fast forward a few years, and I found myself googling what the fashion industry is saying about fall trends. So the following aren’t my ideas, but I thought it’d be fun to list everything in one place and perhaps you’ll find it interesting too.
Vogue Magazine Online says the following are trending for Fall:
- Bright Colored Sweaters
- Fall Moody Florals
- Plaid Miniskirt Suits
- Bold Patterned Loungewear
- Leather Jackets (Bonus if there are fun details)
- Bright Micro Minis and Dresses
- Rugby Stripes
- Extra Large Jackets
- Mismatched Prints, Patches and Retro Graphics
Instyle Magazine Online focused on the fact that we all took a breather in 2020 and so trends might already be sitting in your closet (and might already be there because there are so many retro styles out again).
- Button Downs as a go-to layer
- Trousers (loose like the comfy pants we’ve all been wearing but appropriate for public consumption)
- Matching Sets (3 piece sets, monochromatic)
- Plaid (preppy, dark/moody and light/lavender, academia, school core)
- Slogan Tops (combining opposites: tee with tulle skirt as an example)
- Bright, Saturated Colors
- Cut-Outs (on your hips, side or a keyhole on your shirt)
- Fringe (on your purse, jacket, dress, anything)
And then to round things out, the website PureWow.com says the following are trends this fall:
- 90’s Revival head-to-toe
- Saturated Hues
- Loose-Fit Denim
- Sweater Vests
- Midriff Baring Sets
- Printed Pants
- Puffy, Quilted, Textured Handbags
- Platforms and Flatforms
- Sequins and Sparkle for Daytime
- Dark Academia (punky but chic)
So, what do we do with all this information? Take what you can use, and don’t take what you can’t use. Shop your closet for things you can use and maybe wear a different way. Pinterest is a great place to get new ideas (Here is my Fall Outfit Inspiration Board) and also Instagram is a great place to see how others are trying out new trends. (My Instagram: Retrocutie) Maybe choose one new trend to try. I’ve been giving sweater vests a try and am loving them! See my blog post: Sweater Vests Worn 3 Ways. Finally, as with anything, do you. Wear what fits your lifestyle and serves you, not the other way around. Fall trends will come and go, but you should remain true to you.
Here are a few fall pieces that have caught my eye!
Need some fashion help this fall? I highly recommend the Fall Capsule Wardrobe from Get Your Pretty On! Curate a fall wardrobe you love and then follow the outfit formulas to get ready each day for an entire month! I’ve done several of these capsules and they are so easy to use!
All the pieces are mix-and-matchable to create tons of outfits and the fall trends have been chosen for you so you can get on with your life knowing you look cute and put together. I highly recommend it!
Do any of these trends resonate with you? Are you trying anything new this fall? Let me know in the comments!
(Links are affiliate links and provide a commission to me at no extra cost to you! Thank you for your support!)