My Projects

My Latest Project: Preserving Flowers Part 2

I decided to try and preserve Grandma’s funeral flowers in order to make a keepsake for our family. See my blog post on it HERE.

The containers and silica gel beads came just in time because the flowers were beginning to wilt! (If I had thought about it, I probably could have bought some locally instead of waiting on Amazon.)

The instructions I saw HERE said to start with a thick layer on the bottom so I could stand the flowers up in it.

I stood some flowers up (cut the stems off first!) and gently put some silica inside to help maintain its shape. The instructions say if you put too much inside, the flowers could fall apart. I hope I did it right!

IMG_0638

Then I covered the flowers up and put in another layer. I added about four layers in all with carnations, roses, leaves, and mums.

IMG_0640

IMG_0655

Meanwhile, my youngest played with my phone.

IMG_0700

I covered up the last layer and secured the lid! Now I’m supposed to wait two weeks! I’m not sure if I can make it, to be honest. Ha!

IMG_0702

Even if these don’t turn out, I’m hoping I can still use the petals. Either way, I have dried some others by hanging them upside down in a dark closet. Wish me luck!

~Jamie

One thought on “My Latest Project: Preserving Flowers Part 2

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s